Sunday, December 26, 2010

Fear not, it is shepherd's pie!

Merry Christmas (or boxing day actually) everyone! 

As I wanted to align my cooking theme with the current holiday, I chose shepherd's pie. Perhaps because it is my favourite part of the Christmas story."Fear not, for I bring you tidings of great joy" I think it is truly amazing that it was the shepherds, the outcasts of society at that time, who were the ones to receive this message and not the high and mighty. Whether or not you celebrate the birth of Jesus, no matter what religion you are (or are not), let's just choose to meditate on his message of love and his most important command: "Love your neighbour as yourself" . It does not matter if our "neighbour"  is black or white, muslim or christian, dog, chicken or cow. If we treated ALL others with love and respect, this earth would be paradise. 'Nuff said, let's eat.

Vegan Shepherd's Pie

There are so many ways to make meatless shepherd's pie.  Mine may not be the healthiest; but it is my once in a while comfort food. A great alternative is to use lentils with canned tomatoes and spices instead of the veggie" beef' and "gravy". As I often say, don't be afraid to play with a recipe. This is a made up recipe so there are no measurements-sorry.
  • Preheat oven to 350 F
  • Make mashed potatos as you normally would; you can use soy/rice/almond milk  or veggie stock instead of real milk.  
  • Heat the veggie ground beef, and chopped onions and garlic in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat. 
  • Mix in corn, peas, or whatever you want to the mixture.
  • I then add veggie gravy: mushroom gravy is great or I use St. Hubert's poutine gravy.(I underlined poutine because it is the only one with no animal products, though always read the label as ingredients change).
  • Mix together and simmer for a minute or two.
  • Pour mixture into oven safe dish and top with mashed potatos.
  • Heat in oven for 30 minutes or until potatos are lightly toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment