Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Drinking.. er.. Ringing in the New Year

I place a high importance on healthy eating and an active lifesyle but I also find it essential to indulge occasionally.  Over the Christmas season,  it is downright impossible to behave with that never-ending supply of chocolate that appears at the office, parties and basically every where you go in the month of December! I knew my defeat was inevitable when the chocolate aggressively hunted me down and taunted me. (Don't judge, you weren't there)

One holiday favourite that I was especially craving was Baileys irish cream. You can't buy a vegan version, but you can make it yourself.

I was fairly skeptical that Baileys could be replaced, but it really was delicious; creamy and very much like Baileys.  I combined two different recipes to get the taste I liked. It doesn't last permanently like the commercial kind, so I suggest making it for your next get together. Cheers!

Vegan Baileys

1 can coconut milk                                2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp raw or brown sugar                    3/4 cup whiskey
2 tbsp chocolate syrup                          1/3 cup strong coffee

Combine all ingredients thouroughly using a whisk. Do not froth. Keep refrigerated, prefereably in a dark bottle.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome Melanie. Do you have any idea what the calorie count would be for this?
    You know, we could always start our own little moonshine business between your Baileys and the liquers I make!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. no idea-but it is made with coconut milk instead of cream and not nearly as much sugar-so should be better than the real stuff. Mel &Andrea's house of booze-love it

    ReplyDelete