Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mexican Tortilla Bake

It has been a cold and rainy September here in Southern Ontario, so I really wanted to make some warm comfort food. This was quick and easy to make and reminds me of a spicy lasagna. I skipped the shredded vegan cheese in the recipe, as I forgot to buy some, but it was delicious without it. This might just be my new signature recipe for potlucks. Honestly, if someone served this to me, I wouldn't even know this is vegan. This is a great dish to serve to carnivores and then, after they say how much they love it, tell them it was made with tofu. 

1 tbsp Olive oil, 1 garlic clove, minced (I threw in some garlic powder tonight as I was feeling lazy)
1 can pinto beans ( I used black beans instead)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or more if you are feeling adventurous)
pepper to taste
1.5 cups salsa
4 ounces soft tofu ( I have no idea how much that is, so I used half the package)
2 tbsp. lime juice
3-4 large tortillas ( I like whole wheat)
1 cup shreddeed vegan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a large baking dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add the beans, tomatos, chili powder and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes and remove from heat.

In food processor or blender, combine the salsa, lime juice, tofu and 1/2 of the bean mixture. Process until well blended. Spread a thin layer of the tofu/salsa mixture over the bottom of the baking dish.  Arrange tortillas on top, overlapping as necessary.  Spread the remaining bean/tomato mixture over the tortillas and cover with another layer of tortillas. top with remaning tofu mixture and then sprinkle with vegan cheese on top.  Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. When we had this it was awesome. I definitely recommend it. We added a few other veggies to it and served it to my carnivore husband who also loved it.

    ReplyDelete