Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's the Great Unturkey Charlie Brown!

Thanksgiving is coming up this weekend and while many of us veggies are looking forward to our Tofurkey with great anticipation (even my cat, Hobbes, tries to eat it off my plate), not everyone is into faux meats. Here is a wonderful alternative that I put together based on two different recipes.

I made this last night and, oh my goodness, the cranberries and pecans just make this dish! With all the appropriate festive flavours, I decided to name this Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe The Great Unturkey.

The oven method provides the best results. For those who are really hungry after work, lacking patience or just want to be enegry conscious, I have provided the microwave directions as well.


The Great Unturkey

3 acorn squashes, cut in half and seeded
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 medium onions, diced
3 stalks celery, diced (I prefer broccoli instead, finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage (I used more)
2 cups brown or wild rice, cooked with vegetable broth instead of water
2 cups lentils, cooked
3/4 cup pecans toasted and roughly chopped (I didn't toast mine)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup scallion greens, thinly sliced (green onions)
Pepper to taste

Brush Acorn squash halves with olive oil and bake at 400F for 45 minutes to an hour, until squash is tender.  You can also microwave for about 5-6 minutes, turning halves frequently if your microwave does not have a turn table.

Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add the onions, celery, sage and cook over medium-high heat for several minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent. Add to rice & lentil mixture. Toss rice with pecans, dried cranberries and scallion greens. Add pepper to taste.
Stuff each squash half with rice mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment