Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dreaming of coconut curry

Having just renovated my kitchen, I am avoiding eating out as a way to save money; not so easy to do. In our culture of busyness and convenience, we have shifted  much of our socializing to eating in restaurants rather than entertaining in our homes, so we become used to restaurant quality meals on a regular basis.

I have been particularily missing Thai food, so imagine my pleasure when I sat down to this "throw together" meal and it tasted exactly like one of my favourite coconut curry dishes at the Thai restaurant I frequent.  As I am not exactly a culinary whiz, it is surprising that I could make something that good. I really should have left myself a tip!


Curry Vegtable and Tofu Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves shopped garlic
1 cup peas
1 cup sliced carrots
1 block, cubed extra firm tofu
1 cup water
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 can coconut milk
1 chopped onion
1 tsp ginger root (you can use ginger powder)
1 cup cubed potatos
1 cup chick peas
1 cup soy or rice milk
2 veg broth bouillons or veg broth
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp gound coriander
juice of 2 limes
cilantro (I use the kind you can get in a tube and freeze- SO convenient)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil in a big pot or wok.  Add tofu and veggies. Cook a few minutes on medium heat until tender. Then add soy milk, water, broth, coconut milk and spices and simmer for 10 minutes. Add lime juice, salt and pepper and cilantro. If you like some kick, add cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment