Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Calcium Conundrum

For those of you who know me personally, you may be aware that several years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis) due to medication I had been on for several years. As I was not even close to menopause, I was not a candidate for the medications available, as they would interfere with my hormones.  My bone health for the future did not look good, to say the least.

I was told I had to be "very careful" and that it would probably get much worse when I hit menopause. Well, you might as well just tell me to put on my flowered granny hat and sit on the porch all day yelling at "young-uns" who step on my grass, because me being careful is just not going to happen!!!!  I want to hike, cycle, explore and generally be my high-energy self.

So, I dived into naturopathic research.  I did learn that many different nutrients contribute to bone health, as well as weight bearing exercise (just ask to see my "pipes").

Calcium, of course, is very important. So, what is a vegan (or lactose intolerant) girl to do? I have just heard  a report that calcium supplements can  cause heart attacks!! YIKES! Choose between heart attacks or weak bones? No thanks.

No need to fear; Mel the veggie crusader is here! (Hey! no eye-rolling!!)There are SO many great plant sources of calcium: bok choy, kale, broccoli, collard greens, quinoa, blackstrap molasses (put it in your oatmeal, cereal or anything you want to sweeeten), tofu, ground sesame seeds, almonds, soy beans, fortified almond, rice or soy milk, chick peas.

I have attached a great link regarding these foods.  In my next few cooking attempts, I will plan to include calcium rich foods.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment