Sunday, July 4, 2010

Barbeque tofu

2 lbs firm tofu, pressed and diced
1.5 cups ketchup         3 tbsp sugar      2 tbsp soy sauce (I used Braggs for low sodium)
1 tbsp cider vinegar       1 tbsp red pepper flakes  1tsp garlic powder    black pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hour
-----
Seems easy enough, but how much is 2 pounds of tofu? I don't have a food scale. I don't even have a bathroom scale!! After trying to consider the rest of the ingredients, I deemed all measurements irrelevant and cut off half the block of tofu and just started throwing stuff in the pot, based on what looked like a good amount. I also added a bit of tomato sauce I had left over. Hey, I wanted to live on the edge and break out of my comfort zone.....

After around two hours , I tasted it and it was ready. It reminded me of the spare rib sauce my mother used to make. So good, Easy peas-y. This will definitely become a regular in my home.

2 comments:

  1. Mel, I'm so glad to see you on the blogosphere!
    This recipe looks delicious - I'm going to have to try it. I wonder if you can barbecue tofu?
    -Nyrak

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN barbeque tofu. It is amazing on shishkabobs with lime and Tandoori masal spice.
    Havent seen you use NYRAK in a while!!

    ReplyDelete