Saturday, July 31, 2010

Scrambled Eggless Eggs

It is amazing how many people still think you cannot be vegetarian, or especially vegan and get enough protein. This breakfast recipe is one of my favourites, and it has lots of protein and calcium to start your day right.
I made this for dinner recently and a friend of mine who is decidedly anti-vegetarian commented how amazing my cooking smelled. I did my best to restrain myself from gloating while announcing it was a tofu dish!!

1/2 med onion chopped,              4-5 sliced mushrooms (I use canned for convenience)
splash of olive oil,                         1pkg firm tofu, crumbled
salsa (to taste- I love spice so I load it on)     splash of hot sauce (optional)
add /substitute veggies such as tomatos, red or green peppers,

Add onions, mushrooms and olive oil to pan and saute on med-high heat until onions are translucent.
Crumble tofu and add to saucepan with the salsa. Saute 10 min until moisture has evaporated.

I love President's Choice Herbed tofu in this dish, but you can add your own herbs, too or just keep it plain.

If you don't like salsa, you can add soy sauce, pepper, garlic and herbs, or make it Greek by adding oregano, olives and sundried tomatoes. I love this recipe on top of toast or putting it in a wrap as a breakfast burrito. Have fun with this and don't be afraid to play with this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment