Friday, July 16, 2010

I want to be a Snooters Girl!!

Yes, I said SNooters! What were you thinking?
On June 19th, I had the privilege of being a volunteer at a wonderful little sanctuary for rescued farm animals called Snooters. About 60 of us animal lovers showed up to paint, shovel and generally help out.
We were greeted with a wonderful spread of vegan cupcakes, pastries and fruit. Chocolate cupcakes in the morning? Of course; this is ME talking,  and they were AMAZING!

My chosen chore was to paint fence posts for the home of Ashi and Norman, the recently arrived,  rescued veal calves. Below is Sherry and myself painting. This photo is very misleading, as I look clean. Truth be told, I  finished the day with paint on my hat, ears, pants, hands-and who knows where else where!! I actually did save some paint for the fence post!!!



Once we completed the chores, we had the incredible experience of visiting with the rescued farm animals which included  peacocks and pigs; both farm and pot bellied. However, I was smitten the second I set my eyes upon Norman and Ashli; the "veal" calves.



These adorable creatures have the sweetest faces, with big, beautiful gentle eyes that have the ability to just  reach in and touch your soul. They basked in the attention and love they received from us and thoroughly enjoyed being petted. Norman reminded me of a puppy  in the way he alternated between prancing around in play, then snoozing the next minute.

They came to be here when Susan, their rescuer, was alerted that they were on  a dairy farm and were marked with a red X, for slaughter. These sweet little creatures were destined to become a jacket or a shoe.
For me, it is nothing short of horrifying to face the reality of that. This is the reason that I do what I do and eat what I eat.

My heart aches to think of what we humans do to the gentlest of God's creatures simply to satisfy our tastebuds or our vanity, when there are SO many wonderful alternatives!!  It is my wish that all humans get the opportunity to meet and actually connect with these creatures and realize just WHO is on our plate , not WHAT.

For those of you who would love to support this amazing place, please visit http://www.snootersforeverhome.com/. They have really cool "Snooter's" shirts, hats, mugs, etc that are both stylin' and support this wonderful cause!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the write up...it was our pleasure to meet so many wonderful, caring people !!!

    Susan
    "Snooters"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish we'd been in town to join you!!!

    Marina :)

    ReplyDelete